National Centre of Excellence for the Dissemination of History and Cultural Heritage
The centre works to strengthen the dissemination of history and cultural heritage towards children and young people in schools, day care, museums and experience centres.
To achieve the aim of disseminating history and cultural heritage towards children and young people, the main objective of the center is strengthening the subject of history in primary and secondary school, contributing to an engaging and professionally strong teaching.
Besides focusing mainly on primary and secondary school the center further works to develop dissemination of history and cultural heritage in day care, education, museums and -experience centers as well as in Danish culture and media.
Typical projects of National Centre of Excellence for the Dissemination of History and Cultural Heritage:
- How do we make the constitution interesting and what does it mean to be participating in a democracy?
- How do historic dramas like TV-series or films influence our general conception of actual historic events?
- How should the teaching of history be carried out as opposed to how the teaching actually is conducted?
- How do we activate students to become co-producers of the history of their immediate environment?
- How do we optimize cooperation between museums and day care and elementary schools?
Background: Excellence centre is an off shot of the School Reform
National Centre of Excellence for the Dissemination of History and Cultural Heritage emerged from the Danish School Reform of 2013, which aims at strengthening student’s learning and raising the professional level of schools. Among other initiatives that is going to happen through better and more varied teaching and teaching methods.
The role of the center is to collect and create knowledge about and perception of history and heritage as a prerequisite for people’s identity and participation in public life.